Where are the chick flicks in the summer? Why did summer become the place of big action/adventure films for boys and little else? When I went to see Star Trek, the previews were for the next Transformers, the next Terminator and GI Joe. They all pretty much looked like the same movie. Granted they tailor the previews to the movie, but in looking at the roster of summer movies, it is clear that the audience they are going for is teenage boys. What about the girls?
Sandra Bullock and Katherine Heigl each have a romantic comedy scheduled, and we have Nia Vardalos heading to Greece in My Life in Ruins. Then come August, Meryl Streep returns with Amy Adams, as Julia Child in Nora Ephron’s Julie and Julia. There are a couple of others, but it’s slim pickin’s for us chicks. Not that there is anything wrong with watching guys in tight costumes doing whatever, it’s just disappointing that Hollywood can’t figure out how to make more films that are smaller or quieter or smarter. Here’s the summer schedule so far:
* Land of the Lost
* My Life in Ruins
* The Hangover
* The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3
* Imagine That
* Year One
* The Proposal The Sandra Bullock flick
* Whatever Works Woody Allen’s latest, guess that makes it a chick flick, or does it?
* Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
* My Sister’s Keeper Bring the kleenex
* Public Enemies
* Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
* I Love You Beth Cooper Hayden Panettiere in perhaps a teenage chick flick
* Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince I count this cause, well… it’s Harry Potter
* All Good Things With Ryan Gosling & Kirsten Dunst could be a good solid drama
* The Orphan
* The Ugly Truth The Katherine Heigl romantic comedy
* Funny People
* They Came from Upstairs
* G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
* Julie & Julia Meryl. Enough said.
* When in Rome Looks like a silly romantic comedy. Okay, it’s a chick flick.
* District 9
* The Goods: The Don Ready Story
* The Time Traveler’s Wife From the best selling book – definite Chick flick
* A Perfect Getaway Possible chick flick. A couple on their honeymoon with killer tour guides
* Post Grad Another silly comedy about a young woman moving home after graduating. Yawn.
* Goose on the Loose!
* Inglourious Basterds
* Halloween 2
* Final Destination: Death Trip 3D
* The Boat That Rocked
I am hoping that the local indie theater has some foreign or smaller movies cause I don’t see much here that is getting me excited about going to the movies. (Okay, Harry Potter, but only that.)